I first met Karen when she invited me to participate in a great research project about Gen X and Gen Y moms through her company Curiosity Inc. (It was because of this project that I was asked to do my first radio interview on CBC!) Recently she has added the creative venture Purses + Poetry to her business portfolio, and asked if I'd like to help spread the word...and do a fun giveaway!
I'll let Karen tell you how this new company came to be:
"I learned how to sew when I was young and I've always loved making things. I find it incredibly satisfying to design something and make it and hold in your hand something that was once in your head. But, I rarely had time for sewing and making as an entrepreneur running a small consulting company called Curiosity Inc. Last year I took a step back from client work to focus on my own projects and I took a Snap Coin Purse workshop as a fun, learning adventure last summer. I made one purse at the workshop, 8 more that same weekend - and Purses + Poetry was born.
I love beautiful, useful objects and I have a deep appreciation for good writing and beautiful language. I think we're losing touch with the later in our world of tweets, text abbreviations and quick status updates. There is something enduring about poetry and thoughtful quotes - they create pause, reflection and often provide us with a bit of insight or reassurance that we didn't even know we needed. This is what I love about tucking poems and quotes inside lovely everyday objects - we get a little bit of nourishment for our soul while we're doing what needs to be done!"
Who/what are the Purses + Poetry Products for?
- The Key Ring Pouches are wonderful little gifts for pre-teens/teens who are getting house keys for the first time. The zipped pouch is big enough to hold a transit pass, debit card, student ID, etc. They also make wonderful housewarming gifts (put a Home Depot card inside) or small appreciation gifts for teachers, your book club, moms' group, etc.
- The Clutch Purses are great for date night or any special occasion. They are big enough to hold all of your elegant necessities.
- The Medium Pouches, our best seller, are perfect for cosmetics, toiletries, cords and cables or a small journal with some pens and pencils. These pouches are universally loved and make great gifts for women of all ages!
- And finally, the Snap Coin Purses that started it all are perfect for coins, lip balm and are big enough to fit your essential cards as well. These are currently sold out while I source a new supplier for the silver frames - they will be back online in early February.
- Everything is designed and lovingly hand-made by yours truly. This does feel special in a world of offshore production, sweat shops and the like.
- The products are truly unique because I buy fabric in small batches. I love prowling around fabric shops and second hand shops when I travel and I'm always on the look out for interesting material. I buy fabric as I discover it and only a metre or two at a time. That means there are only a few objects made with each fabric so you get something special, that few other people have.
- And finally, I think combining poems with purses and pouches is pretty unique. And awesome - why didn't someone think of it sooner! :)
Now that you have all of the background, it's time to share some exciting news!
Exciting news item #1:
Purses + Poetry is offering This Mom Loves readers 20% off any item from now until January 31st. Simply use code MOMSLOVE20 at checkout!
Exciting news item #2:
Purses + Poetry is giving away FIVE (yes, FIVE) Poetry Pouches to This Mom Loves readers!
GIVEAWAY OPEN TO CANADA AND US.
All you have to do to enter is visit the Purses + Poetry website, then leave a comment below letting me know which product is your favourite. For bonus entries, please leave a separate comment each time letting me know that you:
Like Purses + Poetry on Facebook
Follow Purses + Poetry on Instagram
Get Purses + Poetry email updates
(Note that P + P members will receive access to exclusive promotions not available to the public)
Like This Mom Loves on Facebook
Follow This Mom Loves on Twitter
Follow This Mom Loves on Instagram
Get This Mom Loves through email
Total number of possible entries is 8 per person.
The contest will run until Saturday, January 17th at 11:59 pm Eastern, after which time a winner will be chosen through random number generation. Good luck!